Your Life Purpose can be lived out in many ways. Whether you are starting a business, taking your business to the next level, helping others in a career you love, or want to feel more of a purpose in your daily life, here are some questions to ask yourself:
1. What do I have to offer?
Clarity is the first step in taking any action. You need to know where you are going before you begin. It is your starting point on your journey. Here are some questions to help you dig deeper:
- What is is that makes you unique and sets you apart?
- What combination of skills and talents do you possess?
- What is the core of your message that burns inside you?
- What propels you to want to share your message with others?
2. Who will most benefit from what I have to offer?
Knowing who you are helping is important because it focuses your energy. It helps you know where you are going. In a way, who you are reaching is your destination. As the saying goes, “when we help everyone, we help no one.” Our energy is spread too thin. If you focus your energy on one spot (the “who”), like sunlight through a magnifying glass, you will burst open a fire. Your energy is direct and your message is clear and powerful. So, ask yourself:
- Who do I enjoy being around?
- Who have I truly helped in the past?
- What pain am I offering to solve (above) and who has this pain?
- Who needs my gifts?
3. How will I best serve these people?
This is the “roadmap” part of your journey – the “how will I get there?” portion. Think about your strengths. Think about what lights you up and think about how the people you are serving prefer to be reached. For the most ease, these should be in alignment. Let’s get specific:
- Do you enjoy being in large groups or in smaller settings? Perhaps you are best suited for speaking or giving presentations. Perhaps you work better one-on-one.
- Do you prefer to communicate through writing, phone, or in person? Perhaps you will reach your people through writing or through lunch meetings or talking to someone in line at the grocery store.
- What are two actions I can take now that would be a conscious way to bring what I offer into reality? Every small step counts. Avoid getting stuck in your head. You cannot think your life purpose into reality. You must take action so others can receive what you have to offer.
If you are starting or already own a business, these questions may help you focus what you are offering your client and customers and help you get that “laser sunlight explosion” you have been wanting. If you love your career and want to take it to the next level, think about ways to incorporate these questions into your work – and take action now! If you are not satisfied with your career, how might you bring more of a sense of purpose into your work, from what you answered above?
A sense of purpose does not always have to manifest through work, though. What are two ways you can offer value to others, just in daily life?
What struck you most about this blog? Was this helpful?
As always, you are invited to share your thoughts below.